Friday, November 11, 2011

On Skyrim, first impressions

In a word, wow. I am very impressed with this game. For me its living up to its hype. Not without a few reservations here and there but this is a hugely impressive, immersive RPG.

Quests come thick and fast and the player is free to do whatever they desire and can be both rewarded or punished for experimentation.

Upon seeing a horse outside an inn just outside the city walls, i choose to risk hopping onto it and quickly riding off with it, i was stopped by a guard and challenged to either come quietly or die for my troubles. Well as i was mounted and he wasn't, as quick getaway seemed in order and dodging arrows I rode off, looking backward for my pursuer only to go over the edge of a cliff and kill my poor steed.

Later, given the task of killing the leader of a bandit camp, i was stealthing around the perimeter pondering the best way to take down the guards, when behind me, to my rather embarrassing lack of awareness appeared two giant Mammoths. Aha! with a shot from my bow in the mammoth's general direction, some back pedalling towards the camp as they charged, followed by darting behind a rock, i was able to watch and smile as the Mammoths made short work of the bandits, allowing me to venture inside.

Fun times.

Some Q&A's based on pre-release concerns.

Motion sickness?

Not really. It is something that can affect me in games with first person view, but most of my time was spent in 3rd person, only moving into FPV for combat.

Ugly avatars?

No, the character creation process is pretty extensive allowing you to adjust many facial parameters, skin tones for different parts of the face, markings, tattoos etc.

well, see for yourself, this is my effort: Kali the Nord ,Dealer of Death...

No comments:

Post a Comment